[CQ-Contest] 73 Magazine Single Band Championships

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Mar 26 22:14:56 EDT 2008

I remember the 160 SSB contest.  Somehow managed to get my inverted "L" to
function on 160 that weekend, something I was never able to do again.  Came
home from work on Friday night, stayed up all night working the contest,
barely functioned at work on Saturday -- saved by the automation -- and
still somehow managed to train someone on the board (I was a weekend studio
engineer for WSHH-FM at the time), and somehow managed to do it again on
Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Two biggest disappointments?   I worked about 35-40 states, all first time
on the band, but never got QSL cards back from the bulk of them, even with
SASE's... and never getting results or anything else about the contest from
73.

I think Wayne Greene had sold off all of the business (including all those
computer magazines, most of which promptly folded) at this point in time,
and was only writing editorials but otherwise had no control.  The people
running the show ran it into the ground, which helped explain why he was
able to buy 73 back a few years later for a fraction of what they paid him
for it.  But that's another story.

73