[CQ-Contest] World Contest Station Database redesign input sought

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri May 2 07:48:18 EDT 2008

I applaud Al and Gerry for being willing to take this on.  The server that
had been supporting the database went flooey back in January, taking with
it all the ASPs for querying the database (fortunately, not the database
itself). I lacked the time (and frankly, the ambition) to rebuild the site,
so I was hoping that someone with more of the requisite skills would take
it on.  Gerry offered and I sent him the last database itself several
months ago, as a starting point.

I thought it might be helpful to recount some of my experience with the
database.  One of the difficulties with it is that it didn't start life as
a formal database, with nicely-formatted and rigorously structured data -
originally it was an Excel spreadsheet that K7ZO had built, based on
reporting on 3830, with free-form data.  I converted it to Access, added
the on-line query capability and continued the basic structure - free-form
entries in fields like Towers, 160M antennas, Rigs, Amps, etc.  That let me
preserve the data K7ZO had painstakingly collected, but at the price of
making it difficult to query the database in systematic ways.  It also
didn't help that I'm not an SQL jock, by any stretch of the imagination.

NF4L kindly wrote an updating program that I could use to keep up (more or
less) with inputs from station owners, which made the manual updating
process barely tolerable.  I always hesitated to allow updating online in
real time, because I didn't want to manage passwords for over 3000 stations
and I was afraid of the potential for mischief if updating wasn't
controlled in some way.  Frankly, the task of restructuring the database
and reformatting all the data to make it consistent (changing all the "4el
yagi" entries to "4-el yagi" and the like) always seemed just too big to
take on.

I hope this background is useful, and wish them success.

73, Pete  N4ZR