[CQ-Contest] How many more creative subjects using "skimmer"arethere?

Pete Smith pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Fri May 2 15:59:10 EDT 2008

At 07:43 AM 5/2/2008, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
>Yes, cw skimmer itself can record the raw iq data for later user.  It only
>provides a demodulator that goes up to 700hz for cw use.  Also there are
>other apps that come with the sdr's that can record the raw data.  Sdr-iq
>has their control app called spectravue that records anything and can
>playback and demodulate ssb, am, fm, and cw(but not decode it)... you could
>of course playback the ssb audio and use external fsk, psk, or other sound
>card apps to decode the other modes.  PowerSDR is another app that works on
>flex-1000, flex-5000, soft rock 40, or pre-recorded files and demodulates
>other modes and does some other processing.

The big advantage of using an SDR app to record I/Q files is that if you
are already running it (Skimmer for example), the added burden is
relatively small.  If you use another recording app for recording audio
.wav files, you will probably need another sound card.

The big downside of I/Q recording is disk space - 95 GB (more or less) for
48 hours - on the other hand, hard disks are really cheap now - I recently
bought a 320 GB USB hard disk for $100.

I have been really happy with RecAll Pro from Sagebrush Software - it's
cheap and reliable. It can record MP3s and give you an entire 48-hour
contest, stereo, in 600 MB (one CD).

73, Pete N4ZR