[CQ-Contest] K1IR Enterprises Announces RoboRef (tm)

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Mon May 26 08:42:32 EDT 2008

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your comments . . . I've received quite a few private emails [thanks to all who replied]. All were positive and focused mainly on the humorous side of this "march of technology" issue we are facing. Please note that every feature/capability I included in the RoboRef(tm) description can be accomplished with today's technology, as described in the SDR and Contesting Forums. This thing is not far-fetched at all.

This weekend, we had Skimmer running with the RFSpace SDR during WPX CW. It provided a clear advantage over tuning for stations manually, and it certainly filled the bandmap with callsigns much faster than packet. Many stations Skimmer picked up were never reported on packet [naturally], and everything Skimmer picked up was also audible. Packet gives you information about inaudible signals, which is also useful. It tells you about what your competition is doing, what propagation paths are broken, and whether your antennas are any good. I documented the experience with a few notes and pictures in my blog. See www.k1ir.com.

73,

K1IR

> Charlie, you took the letters out of my mouth!

Yes, very funny (and creative).

73, Gerry, K8GT   Op of WY8DX this weekend.

---- Mike <nf4l at nf4l.com> wrote: