[CQ-Contest] Growing New Contesters with LOTW - suddenly it's 1977 again

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Tue May 27 21:41:07 EDT 2008

OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake today since I'm still recovering from the
kid's wedding...

But I still don't get it.

You're done with the contest.  You send one email to the contest sponsor,
whomever it is, with your Cabrillo file.

Assuming that you're already signed up for LotW, you then take your Cabrillo
file, encrypt it, and upload or email it to the LotW server.

Done.

What's so hard about that?
-----------------
We went through about 2 or 3 weeks of belly-aching recently about how the
use of computer technology is so rampant today, that some feel most contests
should mandate an electronic log upload/submission within an hour of the
contest's ending.  Yet now we're complaining that sending a second email is
so difficult?

I would further submit that, many contesters who (for whatever reason(s),
right or wrong; good, bad,or indifferent; or somewhere in between) would
resist submitting a contest log to a given contest or contest sponsor if a
mandatory simultaneous LotW upload was imposed, or that their logs would
automatically be uploaded to LotW at some point whether they wanted to or
not.  I would certainly hesitate on this on principle, and I'm a strong
supporter of LotW!

In short, I think our time is better served promoting LotW and countering
some of the wild and misleading statements about how "hard" it is for most
hams under most circumstances; rather than pushing something else that the
contest world isn't ready for, and something else that can backfire on the
wrong people or organizations, and for the wrong reasons.

73