[CQ-Contest] SS CW today

David Kozinn, K2DBK dkozinn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 13:42:10 EDT 2008

I believe this is the same as last year, and the answer is that the
contest, as it always has still starts at 2100 GMT (or UTC, or Zulu)
today (Saturday) and ends at 0300Z Monday. I have a clock (well
actually, several, including the one that's on my radio's display) set
permanently to UTC time and I don't worry about "local start time" and
I never have to adjust the clocks.  The contest is still exactly the
same number of hours.

As a DXer and contester, I've found it very useful to be able to
"think" in UTC, especially since that's the convention for logs and
for QSL cards. So, depending on where you live, the time on the
non-UTC wall clock might say something different at the start of the
event and the end of the event than it did a few years ago, but the
start and end times in UTC are the same.

73,
     David, K2DBK
     k2dbk.com
     k2dbk.blogspot.com

P.S. Incidentally, I happen to agree with you that changing the start
& end dates for DST was not well-thought out at all. The cost to
Americans in terms of the changes that had to be made to accommodate
this easily outweighed any energy savings, because there weren't any;
Studies after the first round of "new" DST adjustments showed no
savings at all.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070403-the-daylight-savings-change-no-savings-no-point.html
 (I apologize for the off-topic rant).