[CQ-Contest] Contesting is better without packet

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Nov 3 12:56:02 EST 2008

Ah - the good old days...

You could like tune around on a band and find multipliers that you could
work with an average station.

I noticed a couple of telling comments from "rare" stations in the CW SS:

>From VO1MP:

> Nice to hear the CW  music ...... still a lot of great ops qrv
> did cq for a short while , but  my patience with the pileup was stretched a bit
> so continued to S & P ,

And VY1EI:

> Sunday was better, when I got a run going on 15 meters and I got better at
> handling pileups. There's no way I can handle 7 callers at once so I would QSY
> after it was apparent that the spotters knew where I was.

If these guys hadn't gotten the big packet pileups, they probably would have
worked more guys!!

I had one of these pileups at the end of the contest last year - when I used
up my operating time and got on with a new callsign at the end of the contest.
I had a MASSIVE pileup of guys calling me - and I wasn't even a multiplier.

I had this problem once from TI1C in the CQ WW CW contest - where the DLs
would pounce on me.  I could deal with two or three of them calling (they
were all really weak on 15 meters) - but then 20 or 30 were calling after I
got spotted - it was impossible to keep the rate up and I just went back to
working Ws.

73 Tree N6TR / W7RM