[CQ-Contest] SS exchange & lazy folks

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 3 16:51:45 EST 2008

N7mal wrote:
> Here is exactly what I said: ""callsign from the exchange"".......
> The very first thing you enter, in any logging program, is the callsign.
> That is how you determine who are you about to work and not a dupe. With
> N1MM & CT  you need not type in the callsign a second time, during the
> exchange.
> 73
>

> MAL
> N7MAL
> BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
> http://www.n7mal.com
> Everyone in the world is
> entitled to be burdened
> by my opinion

Mal:  What they are talking about is that they had relied on the logging
program to pick up their call and put it in the CW message to be sent by
the computer for the exchange.  They didn't listen to what was being
sent.  They thought the logging program would send the exchange:  # B
N7MAL 60 AZ or whatever from what they entered into their N1MM logging
program for precedence, call sign, check, and section during the set up
for the contest.  Apparently the other logging programs do so.
Certainly, NA and CT do so.  Since many SO2R operators do not listen to
what is being sent (they are instead listening to another band on the
second radio), they didn't realize or didn't realize right away that the
computer wasn't sending their call at the proper place.

I had two similar experiences lately.  I was listening to famous DX
stations at CU and I forget the other place but both were places where a
number of different people operate with varying call signs.  When the
contest started, the station sent something like TEST DE CU2A.  I worked
him for the first contact.  Then, he sent "TU CU2CE."  I listened to
three QSOs when he did that.  I have no idea which call the other two
guys logged.  I then called back the famous OH operator on the rig and
told him what was happening and he changed the messages so that the call
signs were the same.  The one on the CQ was the correct call sign.  The
one on the TNX message was left over from the last contest operation at
that station.  Then, the same thing happened in another DX contest with
an entirely different operator.  (Those calls were made up because I
don't remember the actual calls.)

The lesson here for us all is that it is a very good idea, particularly
if you are not going to monitor what your computer sends during the
contest, to look at the computer messages on the screen and to listen to
the computer messages before the contest starts.

When I do SO2R from my station and when I did it from W4AN, I monitor my
own sending.  But, when I did SO2R from K1TO in IARU HF this year, he
had his set up so that I couldn't hear what the computer was sending.
The late W4AN never listened to the computer sending either.  So, if the
message is wrong (or if you hit the wrong key and therefore send the
wrong message), you have no way of catching the error and correcting it
on your own.  You have to depend on the other guy(s) to bring it to your
attention.  That is the reason for some really stupid sounding exchanges
in contests these days.  It may be unlikely that someone will press the
same wrong key twice in a row, so I guess most SO2R ops get that part
right on the second try provided the other guy lets them know or
displays such confusion that the SO2R guy starts over again.

73, John, K4BAI.