[CQ-Contest] The New Radio - an audio and visual approach to contesting

Peter Voelpel df3kv at t-online.de
Mon Nov 3 22:27:15 EST 2008

It was exactly my idea to work the CQ WWWDX SSB SB20m with my SDR-1000 as I
learnt what this radio is able to provide.
When I started the contest it worked quite nicely for me, and by 13:00Z I
obtained 103 countries and 29 Zones, mostly by S&P and a 2 hours run into
Asia.
Finding new rare mults were so easy! I could see new pileups immediately and
only needed to click the mouse onto it.
Strategy was to work as many mults as possible the first day, run the US in
the afernoon and run only the next day, search for new mults when US runs
drop below a 60q/hr.
When I turned the rotatable antenna to the US in the afternoon and added the
lower US 2-stack I was shocked by tremendeous qrm and could not find any run
frequency.
Finally I started to run but had a hard time right from the beginning.
When a new station started qrm 500Hz above I was going to tell him qsy but
could not read the station, it was LSB!
All stations were audible in USB and LSB, LSB a lot less signal strength but
still loud.
What happened? The image of the low IF of 9kHz was not good enough rejected,
so all stations were twice on the band 18Khz apart.
First I started trouble shooting at the soundboard-radio connections but
everxthing looked allright.

Later I learned that image rejection needs recalibration when moving across
the band. Only after calibration it is good enough not to cause
interference.
Before that I gave up, was really tired of all that noise on 20m and also
physically tired as I did not sleep from Friday to Saturday.

I will use the radio again in one of the next contests, I do like the
panadapter and the filtering the dsp can provide compared to my analog Icom
transceivers.
I have also used the radio during normal activity on the bands without
problems.
Next time I will keep a signal generator ready for the recalibration, it´s
possible to reach 80db rejection, but without it I will be lost again.

73
Peter