[CQ-Contest] SS and other contests

Robert Naumann w5ov at w5ov.com
Sun Nov 9 08:43:24 EST 2008

With all due respect to those reminding us about Straight Key Night, I think
Tony was not focusing on asking for a contest using a straight key, but
rather operating other contests such as SS and others (as the subject of his
message stated) without the use of computers or memory keyers to send all
CW.

Thinking about the calamity that might ensue on the bands if this were to
happen, I think we'd see scores drop significantly. I suspect that many
don't know or remember what the term "fist" means in this context. I would
support giving some extra credit for someone using a bug to send all cw. I
could never figure them out.

However, since it appears that a majority wants "change" these days
regardless of what form it comes in, perhaps this will be inevitable too.

This may make no difference for some - but I confess that I am not one who
can send error-free using a paddle without lots of practice - which sadly I
don't get much of anymore. Using the computer has definitely become a crutch
for me and I expect many others.

73,

Bob W5OV