[CQ-Contest] CW Keying Cable

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Nov 10 10:32:26 EST 2008

Some optocouplers have single transistor outputs, and some have
Darlingtons (less common).  The Darlingtons have higher gain (more
sensitive to input current) but like any Darlington they won't pull down
to less than about one volt or so.  An optocoupler with a single
transistor output is the best way to go as long as it is driven hard
enough at the input (usually about 10 milliamp or so) to fully saturate,
but one way to make a Darlington version work is (as Pete suggests) to
follow it with a simple PNP pulldown transistor.

73,
Dave   AB7E