[CQ-Contest] Learning Morse

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 10 14:40:33 EST 2008

Rusty

What you're missing here is what K5ZD pointed up in a slightly different
context recently, viz Practice, Practice and lastly Practice.

I was licenced in the radio bronze age and fancy things like Koch and CW
trainers wouldn't be invented for another 20 or 30 years. I didn't
realise that I was chronologically challenged, so I just got on the air
and made some real live QSOs outside of contests ( didn't even know they
existed then). Funny thing is that I didn't realise I was practising
because I was having so much fun! By the time I realised what was
happening to me I could hold my own in a contest I stumbled upon. Of
course in the radio bronze age ( ca. 1960) even the best contest ops.
only sent on bugs, so I didn't need any more than 25wpm. Funny thing is,
by the time electronic keys were used ( early to mid sixties) I cold
copy those as well, and then even later computer sending at 35wpm +
wasn't a problem. This all happened by practising.

I don't know how effective Koch and the like are, as I never used them,
but what I can say is that whatever method you use will not succeed
unless you practise. Another way of putting this is that there are no
free lunches.

73

Clive
GW3NJW