[CQ-Contest] VE4 and ND in one QSO?

Eric Hilding b38 at hilding.com
Thu Nov 13 01:41:02 EST 2008

Regarding KE0Z's Soapbox writeup for his /VE4 activity (below), it appears
Emerson, Manitoba may be just above Minnesota from what I can tell on Google
Earth.

So, the $64,000 question is. if KE0Z (or anyone else) moved West a bit and
put a vertical exactly centered right on the U.S. Canadian border line
(Manitoba to the North and North Dakota to the South), would this yield two
"rare mults" in one SS QSO?  My personal opinion is that this would really
be no different than a 'County Line' type operation in State QSO Parties.

Would signing something like KE0Z/W0/VE4 or KE0Z/VE4/W0 be legal ???

I will sleep better at night knowing the answer to this!!!

Tnx & 73.

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust

RE:

KE0Z/VE4 -- Nov 5, 2008 19:10 ET

I noticed the past couple years that a lot of ops were missing the sweep
because of the troublesome Manitoba section so I began thinking about making
a kind of mini-dxpedition there for this year's CW SS.

In September, my work brought me up close to the Canadian border so I went
across to look at possible sites for portable operations. Just across, and
only 300 yards from the US/Canadian border was the Maple Leaf Motel in
Emerson Manitoba. It is a mom and pop sort of motel with a small yard which
looked like a good spot for a vertical.

I told the owner what I had in mind and he was okay with it. On the
afternoon of the contest I was setting up my station and before long
slinging the dits and dahs into the ether. I prefer search and pounce but I
tried to spend some extra time calling cq so it would be easier for everyone
to work the section. It was fun to be on the other end of the pile-up for a
change and I hope I helped some folks with the sweep.

Incidently, Sunday was a beautiful day so I took about an hour break from
the radio to go for a walk. The motel owner pointed out a marker placed on
the border between US and Canada. It was curious to me that there wasn't
even a fence there, just the marker and I could simply step from one country
into the other.

IC-706 and a Butternut vertical, ground mounted with 18 radials. -- KE0Z