[CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 18 09:33:40 EST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 7:01 AM, David Levine wrote:

> I also haven't seen anyone respond to my question regarding the
> Cabrillo
> file which needs to be submitted. It doesn't include the redundant
> call sign
> "rule" in it. It only includes the same call sign that exists in any
> Cabrillo file which needs to be submitted. So it seems that at least
> in what
> we need to provide to the ARRL as our official submission, they
> don't want
> the redundant call sign either!

I did, but I'll respond direct too.

To not have the Cabrillo file include the double exchange is probably
giving some people heartburn, since now we'll probably discuss how
only hand written paper logs will be acceptable. (that's a joke)

One of the issues that I see crop up from time to time is that there
is a segment of contesters who believe that the rules are to be
wielded as some sort of weapon, to bludgeon the transgressors into
submission or extinction.

The rules are there to show the Operators what they have to do, not to
punish them. There is a difference. It's why we will accept a log the
day after the final submission date, or I'll even do it later than
that if the Op gets hold of me and grovels properly - just kidding,
all I need is notification that they are running a little late and
some good idea when they will have it ready.

But the point is, There are rules that I'm going to give no quarter
on, and ones that have a little leeway with. Look at the PAQSO rules
on the mobile window. I changed that to part of "suggested
frequencies", as in how are we going to enforce it?

This doubled callsign is just one of those rules that needs changed.
ARRL knows it, and if there is enough interest expressed, they
probably will change it. They are already not DQ'ing people for not
doing it - and of course given the non-inclusion in the Cabrillo
files, they simply don't know who is and who isn't "doing it
correctly". They >suggest< doing it twice, and there ya go! Any
NIL'ing is an Operator's prerogative, not ARRL's.

-73 de Mike N3LI -