[CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

David Levine david at levinecentral.com
Tue Nov 18 20:23:40 EST 2008

Ron, W3WN said:
You're saying that because the Cabrillo file format for SS doesn't sequence
the log information in the same exact order it's sent, we can therefore
ignore SS rules (or at least suggestions from the contest head) regarding
what order to send it in... and omit the call sign that is a required part
of the exchange?

-----

No Ron, I didn't say that at all.

First I said no one is disputing the rules are the rules. Where you and some
others made the leap from a discussion on the topic to assuming we feel
empowered we can ignore the rules is a wrong statement. We were discussing
the usefulness of repeating your call sign, officially, as part of the
contest exchange.

And if you read the post you replied to and previous posts, the question has
nothing to do with the sequence of the items in the exchange. In fact, I
explicitly stated the sequence is irrelevant. I'll again repeat the item
about the log file. Compare the log records from the SS file and from a VHF
file. In the VHF contest, there's no need to officially exchange your call
sign as part of the exchange. In the VHF Cabrillo file, you'll see the call
sign of both stations listed on the QSO record. Now review the QSO record in
the Cabrillo file for the SS contest and you'll see the "redundant" call
sign that needs to, as part of the rules, included in the exchange does not
appear in the Cabrillo file. So the exchange in the Cabrillo file (mine was
generated from N1MM) for the SS contest does not contain the call sign in
any redundant manner as we are required to communicate during the contest
contact.

Ron, though you seem to indicate that folks are just arguing to hear
themselves type, I'd really question some of the responses I've seen as
there seems to be a need for folks to read and comprehend the entire post
they are replying to and not try to pull things out of context. But that's
just my perception as a new contester and a very recent member of joining
this mailing list.

And for Mike, N3LI, thanks for replying with a very rational and on-target
response to the discussion. You obviously don't fall into the "don't read
and don't comprehend" side of the room.

I'm done with this discussion unless someone replies directly to me. I think
it was interesting to see how folks responded and what they feel passionate
about. For me, it's just a hobby I have fun at and jumped into this
discussion because it seems out of place to send the call sign in the matter
the rules require.

73
David - K2DSL