[CQ-Contest] Vote now!!

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Wed Nov 19 09:46:44 EST 2008

Tree said:

> vote by getting on the air

Unfortunately the subject line is in error and should read "vote a year from
now when nobody remembers the question."

I'm probably on the high side of the bell curve for "Old Geezers" and I
generally like everything to remain like it was in the good old days.
However, many improvements have been made to radio contesting and even an
old fart like me recognizes that they are good changes.

In the old days, it barelt mattered if he was even working you - because
that error would never get detected.  Nowadays it will get detected.  This
is a good reason all by itself to just improve your operating technique and
start exchanging both callsigns, to decrease your NILS, improve your error
rate, and earn the admiration of your peers.

Frankly I think it would be great for the rules of any contest to specify
the components and order of the initial sending of "the exchange string" (or
whatever), but I'm one of those guys who likes rules too.  Whatever.  It's
good to send the other station's callsign in the search-and-pounce exchange.

Mark, N5OT