[CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:28:54 EST 2008

> When posting to cq-contest, I try to be precise, and careful
> in my choice of words, so that readers will focus on the point
> I'm trying to make rather than trivia.

That's why you're such a good programmer :-)

> I've checked the meaning of "handicap".  One definition is -
>
>   "a race or other contest in which certain disadvantages of
>   weight, distance, time, etc., are placed upon competitors"
>
> Being obliged to say/send the callsign one extra time
> (compared to other HF contests) is a disadvantage of time.
> As such, it is a handicap.  It is one that, in SS, applies
> equally to all entrants.  Actually, now that I think about
> it, it's more of a handicap for those with long callsigns.

Your definition is incomplete.  Handicaps are applied unequally to all
competitors with the goal of producing an equalized competitive environment.
Requirements that apply equally to all competitors are not handicaps.  Just
because the game is hard, or inefficient, does not make it unfair.

The remedy for long call signs is not in changing the exchange, it is in the
participant obtaining a shorter call sign from one's licensing authority.
You have done quite well in this regard, Mssr Dit :-)

> In order to play in this contest you have to make a required
> sequence of noises according to the contest rules.

And to be more precise myself, the required element is a set of noises, not
a sequence.  The order of noises is not specified by the rules, but the list
of noises is explicit.

> I was quoted above as saying "Is it time to review this rule?".

And the contest's Contest Manager (K5KA) has responded, "No," although one
can always write the appropriate ARRL official.  Have at it!  The continued
popularity of Sweepstakes indicates that it is not broken and really does
not need to be fixed.  As N6TR suggests, vote with your presence on the air.

If one likes short exchanges, the ultimate in that regard will occur on the
29th and 30th.  See you all there!

73, Ward N0AX