[CQ-Contest] European sigs to W9

Jeff Clarke ku8e at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 27 19:15:26 EDT 2008

  I think some of those loud EU stations need to work on their receive antennas. I was DXing  on
40 meters where I run 600 watts to a decent wire antenna. I lost count of all the 20db + EU stations who
CQed in my face when trying to call them. It amazes me that I would hear two different stations in the same
general area of EU - One I would call and call and just give up out of frustration. I would then find another and work them on one call and they would comment on my good signal !!  Man.. It must be fun to do a DX contest
from the East Coast.  Seems like it doesn't matter type on antennas you guys use. I even remember N1UR beating me in a pileup - and I know he does low power !!

It's also amazing what the guys with big high antennas can work. I listened to N4PN for awhile (operating at W8JI) running EU stations that I couldn't even hear a peep from. Now if I could just afford a couple big towers with a Lazy H strung between them !!!   That would be fun ... Dx Contesting sure can be humbling for the little guns out there....

See everyone in CW SS next weekend and from PJ4 for CQWW CW...

Jeff KU8E