[CQ-Contest] CW Sweepstakes Then and Now (Long)

mike l dol dormann w7dra at juno.com
Tue Oct 28 12:02:11 EDT 2008

There are a few of us who stopped  advancing our station technology
somewhere in the 1950s. I watched W7VKZ work 1953 SS CW with an ARC5 tx
and an NC100 rx and thought ham radio is for me. On 40m i still use as a
driver the Globe Chief 90A kit I made in high school although I replaced
the super pro with an HRO sixty some years back.

I remember Ken, K7GZO in 1954 Fekd Day saying "OK, 20 fone has worked
100, now lets see 20 CW do the same".

At 68 with a torn left shoulder i find it hard to reach up to zero beat
the VFO, but the romance of being able to work a full hundred stations in
a major contest remains......................

Mike W7DRA