[CQ-Contest] How do you get better?

Shelby Summerville k4ww at arrl.net
Fri Oct 31 14:03:34 EDT 2008

Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote: "Work RTTY contests to learn SO2R skills.  In
RTTY, the computer is doing the brain work and the QSOs have a fairly
consistent timing and pattern.
This frees you to practice the keyboarding skills of jumping between the two
logging windows.  For even higher level of practice, try running on two
bands at the same time (while never transmitting on two bands at once).  The
goal is to do it so smoothly that no one listening can tell what you are
doing!"

Using any contest, to improve ones skills, at the inconvenience of another
participant, IMHO, is  inconsiderate! I cannot count the number of lost
contacts, both for me, and the station I was calling, because they chose to
make me wait, while they were completing a contact on their other radio.
This is especially true with RTTY, as the exchange(s) usually take longer
than any other mode? If you're calling CQ, you should be ready to answer
any/all callers, not make them wait? When the aforementioned goal is
attained, then, and only then is one completely ready for SO2R operation?

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW