[CQ-Contest] Top Ten scores & 3830 postings?

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Wed Sep 3 07:33:27 EDT 2008

>A certain contest committee person privately told me last month that he
> suspects that there's more cheating, but told me that he doesn't have the
> evidence to back up that suspicion and has no plans to gather any.
>
> Statement like that may cause some to infer that there are others who
> extrapolate a position like to the extreme.
>
> However... this is the entire crux of the argument, isn't it?

I don't think this is the crux of the argument.  The questions we all need
to answer are "how much shoddy conduct is acceptable?" and "how much shoddy
conduct is too much?"  Nobody has said "cheating is rampant."

My personal definition of "too much shoddy counduct" would be "when it
displaces someone in the box who played fair."

All that takes is one shoddster in the box.  According to certain contest
committee persons, there are shoddsters in the box.  Incidents in recent
history exist as proof.  When an official, as above, says they have no plans
to pursue it, it's not because they've decided it's acceptable, but rather
because they don't have the resources.  Welcome to ham radio where the rank
and file pretty much have to take care of themselves, which is what this
conversation is about.

Mark, N5OT