[CQ-Contest] Writelog vs. N1MM

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Sep 4 13:49:22 EDT 2008

At 11:30 AM 9/4/2008, Kevin Stockton wrote:
>Are their any contesters out there that have experimented with both
>Writelog and N1MM?  If so, which did you prefer?  I've been using N1MM and
>it is a great program, but some people have decided to go with Writelog
>instead of N1MM, just curious why?
>
>I'm particularly interested in comparisons between SO2R use.  W5XD no
>longer makes the SO2R box for Writelog.  Do most people use this
>controller or something different?  It seems very nice, especially since
>it contains isolated keying that is separate from the computer.

I have used both, though the last time I used Writelog seriously in a
contest was almost 6 years ago - how time flies when you're having
fun.  Just about then I discovered N1MM, then in version 3.xx - it is now
on 8.9.0.  NCJ readers may recall that I reviewed both N1MM Logger and
Win-Test for the magazine.  I wanted to do a review of Writelog, to update
K5ZD's excellent review from (was it?) 1999, but Ron (K5DJ, the
distributor) declined to make a review copy available.

[full disclosure] I worked with Tom on support for the software, serving as
tester, keeper of the bug and requested feature lists, and "first
responder" for user questions for about 3 years, and though I'm no longer
so active, I'm very much a faithful user.

To my mind, N1MM Logger today has two advantages over Writelog that go
beyond any features-list competition:

*  As Dick (WC1M) said, N1MM Logger's revision cycle is very short. Bugs
are quickly fixed, and new features implemented, sometimes within
hours.  The development process is extraordinarily interactive, involving
both the huge user community and a dedicated group of beta testers.  It is
the only software project in which I have been involved, where there is no
advantage to lagging behind by 6 months or so in order to wait for bugs to
work themselves to the top and be fixed.

*  The current N1MM developer team has grown and deepened substantially
from its beginnings.  In addition to Tom, N1MM, who remains the architect
and key developer, Dave, K1TTT is a long-time contributor, particularly in
the multi-user and voice keyer areas.  Rick, N2AMG does all the
digital-mode development.  Steve, N2IC, has contributed his SO2R contesting
expertise to optimizing SO2R capabilities, as well as many other
aspects.  John, K3CT has been contributing many radio interface
improvements and other enhancements and bug fixes.  Thomas, PA1M maintains
the user manual and contributes code to the effort as well.

A final comment - to my mind, N1MM Logger and Win-Test are the only contest
loggers today that are continuing to evolve.  Writelog was the first real
Windows logger, but that was a long time ago, and it has not kept pace.

73, Pete N4ZR