[CQ-Contest] CQWW rtty - condx ?!

Ulli Grunow ulli.grunow at ospreyribs.com
Tue Sep 30 03:40:04 EDT 2008

Dear,

I was one of the active contesters during last weekend CQWW rtty. Following
the results issued on the 3830 reflector, I wonder, what to think about the
condx. More specifically what should I think about the condx on 40m ???

I was SOSB 40m in the high power class, and have the idea, that this weekend
again the more northern stations are much less favored or even punished by
the aurora zone.

When I see the logs of southern Europe stations, I cannot believe their
results - especially S53M - how did you do that ?!

Running 12m high elevated 4square 100% above steel plate of 2000m2 with
saltwater all around, what can I do more to work DX ?!?

But is was difficult to establish a good run to the USA, especially in the
first night. And only 25 JAPAN-stations worked (about 200 USA). That's a big
difference to S53M (by the way already 25years in contesting.)

So: Can someone report from the USA, which stations they heard best ? Who
were the loudest from EU in the USA ?

This was interesting: At 20:30 UTC (very early !) East coast stations were
strongest. The later it became towards their sunset, the weaker they got.
When it was darkness after sunset, USA-stations where dropped by almost 20db
in signal strength ! I worked the Midwest when it was almost 3hours before
their sunset. Later in the night - nothing ! Someone from Norway reported
the band was dead during first night.

Same situation towards Asia: I worked JA with best signals between 14:30h
and 15:30h - later the band was almost dead to the far east.

Unfortunately no station from West Australia heard and no station from South
Africa. may be no activity on 40m

REMEMBER: All questions about 40m - although other band information may be
very interesting, I don't know, as I only have a reasonable antenna for 40m
at the moment (no towers, no space = big problem)

Thanks for your feedback and any reports !

Ulli, ON5KQ