[CQ-Contest] ETHICS

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Thu Apr 2 13:26:15 PDT 2009

Not that I condone the practice of US amateurs not knowing where they're
allowed to operate (far from it); the problem, Doug, that as a non-US
licensed amateur, how would you be reasonably expected to know where the US
band changes are?  How would you know whether or not the FCC might have
adjusted the Phone "sub-band" on, say, 80/75 meters when you weren't
looking?

And why should you waste time and potentially lose contacts correcting the
other guy, when for all you know, academically speaking, the rules have been
changed and that they AREN'T out of band?

I know... in your case, this shouldn't be a problem, you certainly do know.

But, having said that, I'd take the position that YOU have no reason not to
work someone who calls you on your frequency.  It is THEIR responsibility to
know the rules (both those of the FCC or other appropriate governmental
body, and of the contest).  And if they violate the rules, it is their
problem to deal with if and when the consequences occur.

73, ron w3wn