[CQ-Contest] ETHICS

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Sat Apr 4 09:50:15 PDT 2009

"What I am sure of is that if I'm the only one who sees this, then we
have a bit of a problem, as then the issue isn't even seen as an issue.
It certainly goes a long ways towards explaining to me what seems to
be wrong with radiosporting today."

What you have described Brett is the reality of "instant worldwide
communications" which the internet now provides. A reliable method of
communication which is QSB, QRN, and QRM free. We also know it's the drain
of young talent, now diverted to this technology instead of amateur radio.
"Look ma, no wires!"

It used to be amateurs were the "privileged class," the only ones with
instant communications in their homes and cars. The average person was
restrained with long distance charges and international fees to talk to
someone across the country, let alone across an ocean. I still have a phone
patch laying around here somewhere!

We're probably all guilty of post-contest confirmations at some level. "Hey
Joe, that was a near ESP contact with you last night on 160m."Seemingly
innocent enough in an email or phone conversation, but still at some level
log messaging after the fact. *I* remember speaking/writing those words more
than one time in the past few years. Did I take any action after hearing the
response? No. Whether I was in the log or not didn't matter to me. It was
more interesting to hear whether it was a struggle at the other end as well.

It was suggested a while back that contest logging software should "shut the
log, encrypt it, and send it to the contest sponsor within one minute after
the event is over." Of course the debate then turned to "this is impossible
because..." Yeah, right... "man will never fly", "man will never walk on the
moon", "nobody will ever need more than 64-Kb".

If log massaging becomes such a big threat to contests, things will change.
Just think, instantly sealed logs would mute this topic and energy could be
devoted to all the other aspects of cheating. I could support this concept.
You don't get "do overs" in any other sporting event after the whistle
blows, at least that I know of.

In reality, probably +95% of contesters never read this reflector. They turn
the radio on, hear the commotion, surf the net to "see what's playing this
weekend", then decided whether to put in a few hours of *fun*. I have read
so many messages based on the presumption that the transgressor is a
competitive entrant in a particular contest. You don't always know that.

Their callsign shows up in your Super Check Partial only because in the
previous year or two their call appears in some contest logs. What
difference does it make if they send an email asking for a call
verification? They may be looking for a new DXCC hit, which is one reason
many casual operators participant in contests. Their message certainly takes
advantage of instant technology compared to sending a QSL, inserting a few
bucks, waiting a month or two, and in return, receiving a "NIL" stamped on
their original card.

In my mind, the answer is simple. Don't make any changes to your log after
the contest is over. It's over. It's done. It's finished. Then you can send
messages with a clear conscience and answer whether "you're in the log" or
not.

<rant off> I feel better now... :-)

73 de Bob - K?RC in MN