[CQ-Contest] Fwd: Ethics

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Sat Apr 4 17:27:57 PDT 2009

Hi, Rick.  Perhaps I misunderstood your original post.  It says you received
an email from a station which informed you he was taking a QSO out of his
log and you should do the same.  If that is true and if you do remove the
QSO, then it is a rules violation because you are changing your log based on
email, not ham radio on the contest's bands.  The fact that you received the
email during the contest period is irrelevant ... it is a non-ham
communication.  If you had reason to remove the QSO without having received
that email, fine.

I agree that all the examples you give in this later email appear legitimate
as they are based on your judgment (only) during the contest.  In general,
though, QSOs should not be removed from logs unless you are sure that it is
appropriate for the other station to possibly get a NIL as a result of your
action.  Your three examples seem to be justified.

Ed - W0YK

  _____