[CQ-Contest] Pessimism

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Thu Apr 9 09:31:36 PDT 2009

David,

Kelly is right on with his observations. And I will add this... When I look
at my contesting logs during the peak years I discover when a DX contest
starts at 0000z, the first hour or so will be filled with JA's and other
Asian stations worked on 10 meters. From MN (and areas north) it's a race to
work as many as possible before it's time to move to 15m and start the
process all over. And these Asian signals are not S-1 or S-0, they are S-9
and above many times.

Not only do sun spots change propagation characteristics, they influence
contest strategy. At a sunspot max, if you used today's strategy (starting
out on 20m most likely), you would be throwing away many multipliers from 10
and 15 meters. You might recognize "there is a problem" because there would
be fewer stations on 20m at the start too. And of course if you were running
in assisted class, your spotting window would quickly reveal where all the
action is.

You've got a lot of fun to look forward to!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN