[CQ-Contest] Station Inspections - A Cheater Confesses

Ken Alexander k.alexander at rogers.com
Mon Aug 17 19:11:47 PDT 2009

Folks,

All this talk of cheating and station inspections has been weighing heavily on my conscience these last few days.  I think it's time to come clean; I'm a cheater!

You see, a few weekends ago in the NAQP-CW I ran illegal power.  In my defense, I was having trouble getting my auto tuner to tune after a band change, so I dialed up the power a bit, which often helps.  It wasn't until later that I noticed that I was running (sitting down?) 5.7 watts in the QRP category, which as we know has a 5 watt limit.

At first I felt ashamed for running 14% over the limits set out in the contest rules.  Then I had to admit it felt kinda good, sort of like driving 83 km/hr in an 80 zone.  I was an outlaw!

Then safety concerns crept in; what if all that extra power makes my 24 foot random wire glow red hot?  It might set the birch tree I tossed the wire into on fire!  Yikes!  I quickly backed off.

So, CQ Guys.  I guess I'm at the top of the hit list now.  I had it coming...no one to blame but myself.  Just give me a little notice if you come over; I'll put on some coffee.  My highest rate in NAQP was 4 Q's per hour but I hope to do 25% better in CQWW-CW.  I figure we'll still have plenty of time to chat between QSOs!

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS