[CQ-Contest] Log Analysis.

brian coyne g4odv at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 22 02:29:10 PDT 2009

I have been looking at some old CQWW CW logs for hints and tips, to discover how some of the top guns operate.

In some of them I came across apparantly  glaring anomolies which did not accord with my understanding of the M/S rules.
However after following the thread on here 'Why The 10 min rule anyway'I realised that I had it all wrong and it is a case of
'if it isn't specifically excluded by the wording of the rules then it's ok,' - anything goes.

For a nation which has the highest number of lawyers in the world in it's population, probably by numbers as well as per capita, I find it bewildering that CQWW Committee cannot come up with a rule which would govern their intent!

Be that as it may I will come to the point of this post....

Below is a log extract from a top M/S contender. It covers a period of 4 minutes and, ignoring the contact in the 32nd minute, records 20 qso's.
The run freq is 14099, there was one mlt on 21mhz, ignoring that one I make that to be 10 frequency changes on 14mhz in that time period. Wow that's some going, 5 q's per minute, 10 frq changes, plus a mlt....
but wait, see how the times jump around? does that mean merged logs, why would there need to be merged logs same band, could it be two transmitters same band? Well I never!

IMO, and many others too, the M/S has become a joke, merge it with the M/2, or change the rules to one transciever and one receiver connected up at one time, the spotting station to have no mic or key available.
At least then the Station Inspector would know what he is looking for, strikes me otherwise he has no chance of knowing what is going on, with regard to this section of the rules anyway.

All the best,

Brian 5B4AIZ  (C4Z).

QSO: 14039 CW 200-11-25 1328
QSO: 14099 CW 200-11-25 1328