[CQ-Contest] Contesting age and lifespan

Robert L. Shohet kq2m at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 25 07:09:48 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

While I was on vacation with my family this past week,
we ate breakfast in a pancake house which had little cards
by the cashier with the following details and years on them:

Remember When:
1960, 1961, etc.

Cost of a house
Life Expectancy
Salary
Price of a gallon of gas, etc.

You get the picture.  Here is what was particularly interesting...

The life expectancy in the US has increased from age 66 to age 84
over the past 50 years.  In some areas of the world, the increase in
life expectancy has been even larger (China for example).

So while it is true that the average age of hams and contesters is
rapidly increasing, it is really not as bad as it seems.

50 years ago, if you were licensed at 13 and expected to live to
66, and someone born in 2009, is licensed at age 31 and is expected
to live to age 84, there is no difference in the potential number
of years on the air!

Of course kids have a lot more time to pursue radio than
adults do, but the longer length of retirement today also allows for
a lot more time to pursue radio than while they were working.

Just some "food for thought" on a point that has not yet been
raised.  Of course, the ideal situation is for someone to get licensed
at age 12 and then have another potential 72 years to enjoy the hobby.  :-)

73
Bob KQ2M