[CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?

N2GC at aol.com N2GC at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 20:47:39 PDT 2009

John,

1) Your age  47
2) Age you got your first license  13
3)  Age you started contest operating  13
4) # of years of contest  experience   34

I was introduced to ham radio from my father who was a ham.. His  passion
like many from back in his day was in building equipment, especially CW
transmitters. He only operated CW and was not a contester. When I  was 11 or 12
he started teaching me the code which for many was usually the  first and
most difficult step into becoming a ham.  My father would record  the W1AW
code practice sessions on a reel to reel tape recorder so that I could
practice any time of the day.  There was also a little bribery  involved.  He would
give me money when I reached certain levels. Up to  that point my only
exposure to ham radio was from watching him or  going to the local Heathkit or
Harrison Radio stores here on Long  Island with him.  To tell you the truth,
I don't remember being very  excited about becoming a ham because it felt
like a chore or homework just  learning the code. Good thing for that bribery.

Then when I was 13 my father found a local radio club that had license
classes and they also gave the novice exam.  Joining that club was the key
that opened the door into ham radio for me.  Ham radio was no longer just  my
fathers shack full of boat anchors.  The club was full of people of all  ages
including some my age.  They had excellent instructors and a small  station
where you could learn from watching others operate.

My timing could have not been any better.  I received my novice  license in
the mail right before the 1975 Novice Roundup.  The short QSO's  made it
easier for a nervous 13 year old to get over his anxiety of being on the  air.
 I've been hooked ever since that Novice Roundup.

I think it is easier today to get younger people interested.  First  off
you don't have to learn the code.  Second, you can try it out before  getting
a license by going on the air with a control op (GOTA station in FD,  Kid's
Day or anytime).  Third, adding today's technology, especially  computers to
the shack has made it a lot more fun, especially contesting.

The key to getting young people, or anyone into this hobby or contesting in
 particular, is still exposure.  I know this first hand because my 11 year
old son is very interested in becoming a ham since his first Kid's Day
when he was 5.  Since then he has had a 60/hr in FD and has operated NAQP  and
SS also.  Talking to girls on the air also helps!  The  problem I am having
is trying to find time in between his other  activities and school work to
teach him the license manual. Maybe its my turn to  bring him to a local club.

I think focusing on exposing what we do as a sport may be key in attracting
 younger blood.  Opening up stations big and small is a great  idea. When I
was a kid with my 14AVQ vertical, I would listen to the guys  at W2PV for
hours (probably you) running stations I couldn't hear and  just dream of one
day being able to operate from or even see a station like  that.

Bring back a form of the novice roundup perhaps with 2 entry classes.
Single or multi op licensed and single or multi op unlicensed with a  control
op. HI

Mike, N2GC