[CQ-Contest] Kids, contesting, and ham radio

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Aug 27 18:25:56 PDT 2009

I'm inclined to agree with all of the points below.  Competing in almost
any activity can be a lot of fun for anyone, and ham radio is no
exception.  I'm convinced that is why radiosport is growing in spite of
a generally stagnant ham population and non-existent sunspot activity.
Competition is an inbred trait and most of us enjoy it for its own sake
... the context is virtually irrelevant.  Heck, even eating (BBQ
contests, hot dog eating) has formally become a competitive activity at
the professional level!

However, I see major two problems with the expectation that we can draw
significant numbers of young people into ham radio by waving the
contesting banner.

A.  Ham radio in general is populated with us old people.  Young people
want to do what other young people are doing.

B.  Anything ham radio requires a license, which requires that a
prospective recruit study things they don't want to study just to do
something they MIGHT decide is fun.  Video gaming doesn't require a
license ...

Speaking of video gaming, I think that puts to the lie the idea that
kids today aren't willing to work at something to enjoy it.  I've
watched my son and his friends ... even my wife ... spend hours and
hours of thought and study trying to be more proficient in various
multi-user online games, some of which are every bit as intricate and
sophisticated as operating a ham radio in a serious contest effort.

None of my comments should be taken to mean we shouldn't try, though  ;)

73,
Dave  AB7E