[CQ-Contest] IARU R1 proposals

Idle-Tyme nss at mwt.net
Thu Dec 3 07:06:23 PST 2009

I've been an Amateur since 1975, And an on and off again contester all
this time also.  I have gone through several sunspot minimums so I know
what the bands are like during the low times like we are now
experiencing. But this time things to me seem very different than many
others.

Reason for this message is that I think these nets yes serve a good
purpose. But I think they have become spoiled with the bands as I see
them for the past several years.They have practically empty bands now.
It's almost like operating 2 meters on 20 meters now days. When there is
no contest or rare DX on the band there is very little interference now.
The level of activity is so low everyone that wants to talk has more
than enough room to do so without coming close to anyone.

As i have said above I have been a active ham since 1975 and in doing so
have gone through many sunspot peaks as well as minimums.  But it seems
to me that the only times that any of the bands even come close to what
the bands sounded like throughout most of my Amateur Career is during
contests.

Any other day even evenings and weekends the bands just seem dead.  I
know the average is supposedly getting older, but I don't think we are
all dead yet! But the level of activity just doesn't seem to be there
anymore.  People tell me that it's because of the sunspots,  And  while
i will agree with that some,  but actually very little really for two
reasons.
1- all the other minimums I have gone through never ever seemed this
barren of activity.
2-If it was all due to sunspots  then explain why the bands explode with
wall to wall activity when like SS or CQWW or any other major contest
starts.  the band is dead then  BOOM!  it sounds like what I remember
every day the bands sounded like when I first got licensed. So obviously
propagation is there, it's just hardly anyone is using it anymore.

I think the nets just have become spoiled  having an totally
interference free freq to use 99% of the time, and when anyone is even
heard now it's horrible!  for most of MY amateur career until the last
decade or so I remember being on 20 ans you had a squeaky Donald duck
above ya and a grumpy grumbler below you  on every qso.  rarely if ever
when you were talking to anyone was the freq only the station you want
being heard.

Just my thoughts.

Joe WB9SBD

*The Original Rolling Ball Clock