[CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN

Ryan Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:01:05 PST 2009

You know something, if I am stranded at sea and have an almost dead
battery on a qrp rig and have to operate low power with almost no
antenna (assuming pirates sunk and/or stole everything else), who
would I want to be there to hear my call?

A contester with towers, beams, legal limit amps, and the developed
skill of copying weak signals that no one else can hear through the
qrm and qrn, or a net control op who is accustomed to a clear, guarded
frequency with 5kc berth on each side and depends on relays?

One would think the choice would be obvious.

The entitlement attitude, especially among the maritime community goes
way beyond one net.  I have seen on one or two sailing boards where
some of these guys think that the FCC should hand over ALL HF to them,
since "its for ships at sea." I don't even need to talk about WinLink
which will just start up and repeatedly hammer and crash ongoing CW
and digimode QSOs, with PMBOs being set up near or even in some cases
IN well known "watering holes" - the exact same thing they accuse
radiosport enthusiasts of!

I think that we need to stand up because if we don't, the whole world
will just walk all over us and the maritime people will take away all
of our frequencies.  We can't let this happen.

As it is we bend way over backwards. We need to stand up.

de N2RJ