[CQ-Contest] MMSN and keeping 14.300 clear

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Fri Dec 4 10:01:32 PST 2009

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha... I have seen this video before, but not in this
context... Perfect!

Let's put this in perspective... Anyone foolish enough to navigate the high
seas and not take precautions to ensure the maximum safety of themselves and
their passengers is utterly foolish. As has been pointed out, there is a
global communication system in place specifically for this purpose. It's
"our tax dollars at work". And yes, I believe the bottom line is they are
avoiding the expense of installing a proper system. Penny wise, pound
foolish.

So let's say you want to take off on a different risky adventure... let's
say you are planning a lunar landing... I suspect some would believe 14.300
MHz would be a good place to plan your communication needs? (TIC)

We're in the 21st century. 21st century tools are in place to reduce the
risk in risky endeavors. Taking to the high seas IS a risky Endeavour.
Survivors of an "at sea" incident (or their descendants) would be quick to
lawyer up and pursue a settlement from the estate of the Captain of a vessel
who has not taken appropriate precautions for a voyage on the oceans.

Enjoy your ham radio HOBBY while you can, and to the extent it is practical
in this day and age. I attended a county emergency management meeting last
year. The "rules" of communication for the county are changing. They are
interested in communication over secured (encrypted) RF links when managing
a disaster. If this becomes a national requirement, that will preclude using
ham radio for any of this traffic. Welcome to the beginning of the 21st
century.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN