[CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

David Kopacz david.kopacz at aspwebhosting.com
Sun Dec 6 07:08:56 PST 2009

"And if now V47NT wants to win the world he should go to a 3 pts
country. "

Yes, this is a great idea! Let's simply move all the best operators and
stations to 3 point countries. I can see it now.

25 station on P40, 32 station on PJ2 and 45 on EA8. This makes great
sense.

I never stated that EU stations should continue to only get one point
for EU QSO's while Caribbean stations continue to get 2 points each QSO.
Ask any US station if they are frustrated getting 0 points for "in
country" QSO's. I merely made a simple observation that V47NT out
performed EF8M and lost. How is this fair?

This was just ONE observation. There are many more. I simply do not
think that one person should have an unfair advantage over another
simply because he chooses to go to a 3 point location. Do you have any
idea how much work it is to set up a station on a remote island? I can
tell you just getting the equipment there and clearing customs was a
major undertaking! Think about clearing a jungle on the side of a hill
and then jack hammering through volcanic rock to put up 6 towers and guy
anchors. This is no small task.

I could move the 6Y1V station to PJ2 P40 CT3 EA8 HC8, but how much fun
would that be for those people already there or for everyone else
working those more rare multipliers? I am quite certain that everyone in
Europe pointing their yagis to NA enjoys working a handful of Caribbean
stations over the thousands of US stations on the band. Think how much
fun it would be next year if instead of logging PJ2T 6Y1V and V47NT, you
instead log PJ2T, PJ2V and PJ2NT.

Think about it, how many stations do you think could operate from HC8
before the multiplier is diluted? I suggest if I moved 6Y1V there,
neither HC8N nor my station HC8V would win a contest simply because
people wouldn't make an effort to work both of us. Once they worked on
station for the multiplier the other station would be ignored.

Telling people to choose a 3 point location is NOT the answer. Making
small adjustments to the scoring in order to level the playing field so
the same stations aren't always winning year after year when they are
clearly not making the most QSO's and multipliers is more appropriate.

David ~ KY1V