[CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

wally wally at el-soft.com
Wed Dec 9 01:32:49 PST 2009

David,

Ask CQWW CC to make additional alternative Top Scores list based on :

1pt for each 1000 km (or better 500 km ) distance covered for each QSO.
Same multiplier system - C + Z.
This alternative Top Scores list could be released on-line only, if there is
no space for it in the magazine "Results" article.

Another possibility
Find someone to make a software and make the calculations after official
results are released by CQWW CC. Logs are open now and this could be done and
uploaded on-line. Then every one will decide for him/her self which of both
Top Scores lists is more meaningfull for him/her.

Thus, everyone I guess will be kept happy, too :-).
My 2 cents :-).

73, Wally LZ2CJ

EA8CMX   476,652   1264   27   105
GI0KOW   414,392   2270   26   110

This is an excellent example. Some have said, "just do better, work
harder". How hard does one have to work to win? It's nearly impossible
when the odds are stacked against you. A few have said, "choose a better
location", but not everyone has the luxury. I received one response
stating "location location location" to which I respond, this isn't a
retail store, it's a radio contest by hobbyists. I have seen responses
stating "it's just for fun", and though we all have fun, some of that
fun is lost when you lose after you have outperformed your competition.

Of the few that have replied negatively to my original post, there are
dozens that have written to me privately agreeing with my observation
that the current scoring is unfair. Unfortunately, due to attacks from
fellow contesters, many simply won't state their opinions publicly. I
can't say I blame them. Personally, I can take all that can be dished
out and I am not interested in popularity, so I speak my mind no matter
the cost.

I am pleased to see a few others willing to support discussion publicly
despite the likely hood of being attacked because of their opinions.

I am very interested in ideas how the scoring system could be changed in
a manner that gives everyone a fair chance to win, regardless of
location.