[CQ-Contest] [MWA] New furnace... off topic, but related to contesting

Greg Fields gwfields at comcast.net
Thu Dec 10 14:12:56 PST 2009

Bob,

I put in a new Trane furnace last year that caused S7 noise. First I had
help from Ron N0AT finding my noisy power pole then I had an S7 noise that
kept coming and going before I figured out I had another noise problem. Here
is what I posted to the MWA last March.

It took me two months to figure out what the intermittent noise source was.
It finally dawned on me one day when I had the radio on as I worked on some
paper work. Sure enough, the noise came on but, I realized it coincided with
my new furnace going into it's heat cycle. I then waited until the next
heating cycle of the furnace to start and sure enough, the noise started
again. I quickly threw the power switch on the side of the furnace and guess
what? The noise went out instantly!

A quick search of the Internet for my new Trane XV95 furnace picked up posts
on eham documenting the same problem. Apparently the inducer motor, which is
used to vent gases, is the culprit. I found a very good write up on it by
N9SZ at:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~zabarnic/RFI.html

I emailed my sales rep from Total Comfort who got the fix from Trane, which
is a filter of some kind, a new wire for the inductor motor, and two split
beads. The fix and installation was provided under warranty so it didn't
cost me a thing, which made me very happy. However, after the fix was
installed last Tuesday I noticed no difference. I took the next step and
ordered type 43 split beads from Surplus Sales of Nebraska as N9SZ had. Like
N9SZ I took 14 split beads this morning and put them all over the wires in
the furnace.

I am happy to report the noise is gone now. I don't know if just the split
beads would have fixed it or if I needed the Trane fix and the split beads.
The bottom line is my noise is gone and I am hoping next Fall's contests can
be heard in the clear without straining to hear through some sort of noise
again. If you get a new high efficiency furnace from Trane make sure you
insist they put in the RFI fix when it is installed.

73,

Greg K0OB