[CQ-Contest] CQ Sponsored Contests are really good contests...

Geoffrey Way wayg at cape-vision.com
Thu Dec 10 05:45:08 PST 2009

This is strictly my opinion, and my first-ever post to this group.

Well said, Scott.

I often participate in events for my own reasons, and they sometimes have little to
do with the rules or purported objectives of a given contest, no matter who is the
sponsor.

The primary purpose of ANY operating event is to STIMULATE ACTIVITY ON THE BANDS.

This presents A LOT OF opportunities to measure oneself in many ways; e.g., can I
even *HEAR* the DX that the guy across town is working, and is it because I am doing
the right things, but my setup is insufficient, or am I doing something incorrectly
and I would, if I weren't making that mistake? Also, since every recurrence of the
event is different, it won't go down exactly the same way as before; is it realistic
to harbor certain expectations?

Let's get off the scoring inequity rant, and think about the benefit to our hobby.
The fairness is in our chance to take a pulse on ourselves, and the "Race" is only
against what we have done before in a similar situation. Are we going to whine about
how propagation tends to favor those at lower latitudes as well? Or that an unusual
sporadic E cloud only formed over 1 continent and not another? Or that crazy opening
to Asia for NA during CQWWCW in the middle of the night? Some things are beyond
anyone's influence.

I see it as a choice of what "game" the event represents. If the event is stacked in
favor of a certain geographical area, like a state QSO party, why does that even
matter, if I'm just wondering how many CO stations I can work in the few spare hours
I have that weekend? It isn't always about "what's in it for me?" when I operate. I
like SS more for the challenge of making a sweep than winning my section, even though
I've done both. I'm hopeful that the HPM event stays just that way-- an EVENT. The
ones who are involved are just doing it because it's a FUN activity.

KA1IOR