[CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

Stan Stockton stan at aqity.org
Fri Dec 11 08:23:00 PST 2009

Rick, WW3DE wrote:

"I agree with Bob. I enjoy 160 a lot, but my setup is quite modest, and
working any DX is a treat. The US covers a lot of geographical
territory,
and working the West Coast from Delaware can be a chore.

There's not much incentive for stations like mine to participate in the
Stew
Perry."

Rick,

Just to clarify, in the Stew Perry Contest you can work anyone, across
the street or half way around the world.  N5DX (in Arkansas) recently
received a plaque for having the highest score in the entire World in
the Low Power Category in the last Stew Perry Contest, clear indication
the scoring is as fair as it can get.  If a W6 had run a bunch of JAs in
that same contest he may have won instead.

My suggestion on not being able to work stations within your own country
was in response to how rules "could" be changed in a DX Contest such as
CQ WW or a new DX Contest to make it fair for all regardless of
location.  Allowing stations to contact others within their own country
in what we all think of as a DX Contest could potentially change it into
QRM ridden bands with not a lot going on but USA working USA  - like
Sweepstakes..

73...Stan, K5GO