[CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWWScoring Rules?

Scott Currier scott_currier at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 15 20:31:15 PST 2009

I think that it is pretty much accepted that because of the fact that the population centers aren't evenly distributed the playing field will never be level.

I don't believe that there is merit to comparing scores between stations in different areas.

What does make sense is comparing yourself to your own previous scores and with other stations in your area that are similar.

Contest sponsors can make this easier by having a wide variety of categories.

I think that the TB-Wires category is a good one. Another one would be indoor antennas. Another one would be wire antennas only.

So, I would enter as SO, Assisted, HP, WireAntOnly.

You would enter as SO, LP, WireAntOnly.

In the scores I would be interested in others who were wireantonly as well as TB-Wires. See how badly those with the tribanders beat me on 10-15-20 meters.

What someone did in another part of the country or on another continent is of little interest to me anyways. I'll look at the scores but they don't have any relation to mine.

That's how I look at it.

Contesting has many levels.

As far as casual participants go, I thought it was nice that during the last FOC contest, the participants quite often thanked me for participating once my lack of a FOC number in the exchange indicated to them that I was not a member of their group. Very nice people.

73 all and good contesting.

Scott Currier KT1B
Haverhill, MA