[CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?

Idle-Tyme nss at mwt.net
Wed Dec 16 07:21:36 PST 2009

I also agree!  I loved the NR.  Especially the format of like 10 days
long but only work the 24 hours.  It allows anyone to be able to get all
the time allotted in.  Plus it places some strategy into it too,  not
only to get on,  but when to get on. so you don't waste hours on dead bands.

The other part that was neat was the novices can work anyone,, other
novices, and other anyone,  but  the "Others"  Generals  extras  etc.
only can work Novices.  Maybe we should take this even one step
further?  That only Novices can call CQ?

This keeps the contest "Novice Roundup" And keeps the big guns from
doing their usual plop down on one freq and run the frequency.It makes
the "Novice" the important contact.

Now that a Novice class doesn't exist, and to open this to a world wide
group of new OP's a "Novice" is anyone that has been Licensed less than
2 years.

And I guess since you can't tell by call sign anymore who is a "Novice"
or not ( WN9SBD ) all novices sign with the "/N"   IE: WB9SBD/N

Multipliers to make this interesting to all interests are.
Each of the 50 USA states and Provence s of Canada.  ( this helps them
with WAS  awards. )
Each DXCC country.   ( this would be really exciting for newcomers to
work all these far away places. )
And on 50Mhz,  (70 MHz where applicable ) 144 Mhz, 222 Mhz, and 432 Mhz,
the mults are the 4 digit grid squares? EN43?  That may be hard for
newcomers tho,, and may make it a tad too complicated? Hmmmmm.?
Mults, count for each "Mode" In other words you can work each station
for QSO points AND mults on each band AND each mode.

Modes are,

"Voice,"  FM, AM, SSB, Digital Voice, etc.
"Digital," Packet, PSK, RTTY, any mode that MUST be decoded via a computer.
"CW"  True back to the roots of Amateur Radio,  Morse code A1, received
without a computer. (Sent can be by memory keyer or the computer used
for logging,  but reception must be via the ears and brain only.)

Single Op only? or should we allow multi op's?  I think it should stay
single op only.

Novices compete against novices only,  and all the rest against each
other only also.

classes  All band,,  HF  only,  VHF and up only.

QSO Points.

"Voice" = 1 point
"Digital" = 2 points
"CW" =   3 Points