[CQ-Contest] Question about USB to Serial (DB9) port adapters

aldewey at aol.com aldewey at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 19:02:59 PST 2009

In a message dated 12/16/2009 7:22:04 AM Central Standard Time,
ar at dseven.org writes:

The general consensus seems to be that the FTDI chipset is most
compatible and most reliable. You can find products that use the FTDI
chipset at:

http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/category=Serial+Adapters

I'm not affiliated with FTDI nor ByteRunner - just what I've heard "on
the block"...

~Iain / N6ML

I went through this a while back and my experience was that many of the USB
to Serial Converters did
not work in all applications.

I did try an I/O Gear one and, although it worked OK for rig control, it
did NOT work for RTTY FSK keying.  This is where I believe the FTDI
requirement comes in.  I ended up getting the Keyspan unit and it worked fine.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Keyspan or Byterunner
solutions.  I can't vouch for any of the others.

73,

Al, K0AD