[CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?

Idle-Tyme nss at mwt.net
Thu Dec 17 07:14:01 PST 2009

I'm one of them,

WN9SBD now WB9SBD when up graded to general.

Rig = Heathkit DX-35 and one 40 meter xtal, with inverted VEE at 20 feet
at the apex!  Recvr was two yes two generic AM only OLD home stereo
sound systems that also had the AM Broadcast shortwave bands. You know
what I mean Old radios in those days seemed like they all had shortwave
also on them.

These two recievers, were both running and connected also to the antenna
at the same time.  The better one receiver wise was tuned to my
transmitter freq, and the other was probably 455 higher or lower or
something for  it's leaky IF I'm assuming was strong enough to make a
equivalent of a BFO so I could hear tones of the CW on the first better
reciever.
But many times a signal was too strong and I had to copy the non toned
signal.  little did I know that this sure made it easy to copy CW on 2
meters during a aurora!

My wife also did NR ohh back in 1979 or very early 80's  I don't
remember what year,  But she got an awesome BIG picture of her and our
son at the operating position of our station,  she still has the same
call KA9CHM.

The little boy eventually became KB9FGZ

Joe WB9SBD

*The Original Rolling Ball Clock