[CQ-Contest] Log Checking Deadlines

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Wed Feb 4 16:23:30 EST 2009

Scott,

First of all here is initial replay to Tree and the reflector:
{quote}
I am all for publishing the date the log was received.  I think it is a
great idea!

There are very few places in the world where there is no internet access.
C'mon folks get those logs in.

I would support shorter log deadlines.

Those that are going to have a problem with a delaine (ed: Deadline) can
make a formal request for an extension of X number of days with a REAL
reason for a delayed log.  If there was a way to further scrutinize a log
any late logs should be looked at far more closely especially if they end up
being a winning entry.

Log massaging/manipulation needs to go.
{end quote}

Other than log manipulation where did I mention cheating or even imply it?

What I have noticed is a bunch of people that apparently have a guilty
conscious.

Any late log should be checked very carefully IMHO.  30 or 45 days is an
eternity.  A week after a 4 hour contest is a long time too.  I can create a
Cabrillo log in N1MM in less than a minute after the contest.  What is the
hold up?  I see no issue in checking the log over at the end for obvious
mistakes in the form of typos or fixing things that had been noted during a
run.  Some people have a problem with that.  I do try to fix the log during
the contest but sometimes that is not practical.  Before the influx of
computers into the hobby you needed that time to dupe your logs or re-dupe
them, make sure they were legible and get them in the mail.

I was one of the Ops at V47M in the late 80's before computer logging.  We
operated both the ARRL DX CW and SSB contests and made around 11,000
contacts on SSB and about 5k on CW.  We also spent some vacation time on the
Island and once we got back we had just a short time to dupe 15k in contacts
and get the logs mailed.  We needed that time.  Our logs were never late and
we never considered asking for an extension.  If I operated from there today
my logs would be submitted almost immediately.  There are very few logs
submitted in the wrong format or in paper these days.  I can understand
getting busy etc but it is not like it takes hours to create a Cabrillo file
and email it off to the sponsor.

What Tree mentioned is that there are a number of top competitors that can
never seem to get their logs in before the deadline.  I know who one of
these people are and have never received a good reason why they are always
late.  It does make me wonder.

Honestly, what is good excuse for not getting a log in prior to deadline?

There is no doubt in my mind that people are downloading the FCC database
and any other database of calls and are checking their logs against these
lists looking for errors.  This is cheating in my book.

I also think that we provide too much information on the 3830 list.
Information like section, zone etc should not be shown until after the
deadline.  Once again another way for someone to massage a log.

Callsign databases and computerized 3830 listing were not a part of
contesting 20 years ago.  Yes there was the on air 3830 but it was nowhere
as complete as the listings we see today.  Critical log and callsign
information was almost impossible to get after the fact.

After every major contest I operate in I will always get a few emails asking
me where I was.  I respond that I will be happy to tell them when the log
deadline has passed.

Submitting a log late or at the last possible moment may not indicate some
type of nefarious behavior it just might.

I would not be so willing to extend the same person a log extension over and
over again.  You better have a good excuse or else you will find your log in
the checklog pile.

I do agree that you should be able to submit your logs after the deadlines
for checklog purposes.

Mike W0MU