[CQ-Contest] WARC band contest

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Fri Feb 6 14:46:10 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:21:04PM +0900, Tack Kumagai wrote:
> Does anyone know the exact reason why WARC band contest have been
> prohibited or not planned.
>
> But I could not find the evidence why WARC band contest were
> prohibited.

	Tack,

	My anecdotal understanding is that the WARC bands aren't used
for a few reasons:

	First, that 30m is shared with services in other ITU regions
and we have a duty to avoid interfering with them.  Wall to wall
contesters are pretty much guaranteed to cause interference to
someone somewhere, so 30 is clearly out.  It's also power restricted,
which isn't a huge drawback but could affect some of the high power
contesters.

	That leave us 17 and 12, both of which are only 100 khz wide.
On 17, the split is 42/58 khz data/phone, and on 12 it's 40/60.  A
dozen or so phone contesters can fill the entire band easily.

	And finally, it leaves a place for non-contesting hams to
operate during large contests, which seems appropriate and fair.

	73,

	Majdi, N0RMZ