[CQ-Contest] Driving at 4AM

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:10:35 EST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Doug Smith wrote:

> I have only been in a few contests and I generally have submitted my
> log near
> the deadline.  Why?
>
> 1) I didn't think it mattered when the log was submitted as long as
> it was
> before the deadline.

While logs and police issues might be an interesting if flawed
analogy, I just gotta say it.....

Guys and gals, we really should ease up the paranoia business. If a
log submitted near the deadline date deserves suspicion, extra
checking because we think that people who submit their logs near the
deadline are cheating, then we're starting down a path that ends up
with demanding live internet logging during the contest, no
exceptions. No connection? Tough - find something else to do that
weekend.

> Note that it doesn't equal "guilt".  Just additional scrutiny..

Sigh.....

If extra scrutiny is warranted, then why? Is there a shown correlation
between submission date and cheating? Where is it, I'd love to see the
cites.

And of course, the thing that proves the actual silliness of the
"people who submit near the deadline are cheating" hypothesis is that
if that were the actual case, you can bet that anyone who is actually
cheating is going to send in their logs early.

> 2) At the end of a contest, I spend a few minutes writing my "after
> action"
> report.  I'll read this next year before the next contest.  I'm
> hoping the
> refresher will help me do better next time.  Anyway, after writing
> the notes
> to myself, I shut the rig off and get back to reality.  Submitting
> the log is
> just an administrative detail that can be attended to at any time.
>
> Now that I know (from this group) that it helps the log checkers if
> I submit
> early I'll submit my log as soon as I'm done with the contest.  It
> helps them
> and doesn't hurt me so why not?

If you send in your log right after the contest, that is great. If
not, then any time up to the deadline is also fine.

That there are advantages for the checkers is true - although not
huge, the wish for early log submission is more one of temperament on
the part of the person who gets to check the logs. As I noted in my
original reply to Tree when he started the original topic, my wife has
a similar outlook - she considers a half hour early to be a half hour
late. We have truly showed up at places an hour early. I used to be
that way myself, but over time, I found that it is not possible to
change human nature.

Quick rough stat:

I get around half the logs for my particular venue in the first twelve
hours after the contest.
Another 20 percent in the first week.
Another 20 percent the second and third week.
Last 10 percent the last week.

Mobiles tend to be later (not late) submissions, as there is a lot of
extra work involved in a mobile entry.(in our case at least)

But seriously, to assume that people who submit their logs later in
the process are likely to be cheating,  and should be treated that
way, is disingenuous at best. It is certainly insulting to the decent
honest Ops who haven't done a thing wrong, yet are accused as likely
cheaters, just by their submission date that is within contest
guidelines.

-73 de Mike N3LI -