[CQ-Contest] Driving at 4AM

ve4xt at mts.net ve4xt at mts.net
Mon Feb 9 11:34:24 EST 2009

Hi all,
I have some specific responses to Mike's question below:

> From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu at w0mu.com>
> Date: 2009/02/09 Mon AM 10:09:01 CST
> To: "'Michael Coslo'" <mjc5 at psu.edu>,
> 	"'CQ-Contest com'" <CQ-Contest at contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Driving at 4AM
>
> And this entire conversation started with comments about a number of
> perennial top finishers sending in late, yes LATE logs.  Not logs at the
> deadline, past the deadline.
>
> There should probably be separate discussions of various sub plots that came
> out of this like:
>
> Should log deadlines be moved up

No. Sponsors want to receive as many logs as they can, from hard-core contesters AND casual contesters alike.
Contests don't exist for contesters alone.

> Should logs be accepted after the deadline and qualify for placement, i.e.
> not checklog.

Yes, to whatever extent the sponsor is willing to accommodate. It's not up to us to dictate to sponsors how to run their
contests.

> Should sponsors publish the date the log was received

No. As has been pointed out, this information is entirely irrelevant. Since so many of you are so willing to attach
automatic suspicion to a later log filing, as entirely groundless as that suspicion may be, I see no need to fan the
flames of paranoia any further.

> If you are not cheating, I see no reason to get up in arms about it.

So, if you aren't breaking the law, you have no reason to get up in arms about unreasonable search and seizure?

To quote one of Mike, W0MU's favourite orators -- given his signature -- "Those who sacrifice liberty for security
deserve neither."

If this really was going to curb cheating -- and I'm not convinced cheating is widespread enough to warrant -- I might
feel a bit better about it. But as has been pointed out, cheaters will cheat irrespective of log deadlines. They'll just
make sure to cheat more quickly. So all that will happen here is to bring contesting further into disrepute.

73, kelly
ve4xt

 Those that cheat will continue to do so, however I think we need to be diligent