[CQ-Contest] KP5 Call

Scott Manthe n9aa at arrl.net
Tue Feb 17 10:32:11 EST 2009

Since the FCC doesn't issue KP5 licenses, a KP5 callsign would not be
available. This is why K5K was used for Kingman Reef, K4M was used for
Midway, K7C was used for Kure, etc., etc.

This is not a new rule. It been in place since at least the mid 1980's,
I believe.

Thus it's either KP5/W0GJ or KP5/K4UEE or K5D. They were not assigned
the call. Since it's a special event callsign, they would've had to
specifically request K5D from a special event callsign coordinator (one
of the VECs).

73,
Scott, N9AA