[CQ-Contest] Topband: Improving the CQ 160 test and ARRL comment

Tod -ID tod at k0to.us
Fri Jan 9 01:06:22 EST 2009

> Anyone remember the bru-ha-ha when ARRL changed the DX test
> to match the CQ format and the ire that generated....and that
> was before internet reflectors! Subtle tweaks are OK. Major
> changes, well, not so good.

I remember that event quite well -- I was the ARRL Board Liaison to the
Contest Advisory Committee and reported to the Board the 'feelings' of the
Committee and significant number of US amateurs. There was a 'spirited'
discussion at the Board level which resulted in a return to the format that
is in use today.

A brief summary of that discussion would be that "the CQWW DX Contest format
belongs to them and is designed to be a contest with all part of the World
having equal multiplier emphasis. The ARRL DX Contest format is designed to
have US and Canadian Section multiplier emphasis."

73, Tod, K0TO